Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hybrid/support love

Hi there,

I know Origins will run or more or less 1.65 patch, but is there any love for hybrid/support planned ? because between 1.65 and 1.83 warden or friar (for example) got so much love, I'm just sad that there isnt at least a bit of it aviable.

Thx and gl for dev, looking forward to try out Origins

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think that new realm abilities would help some, giving hybrids access to determination. I really don't know why so many people like 1.65 so much. I understand it's before TOA that so many despise, and it's got OF that so many people seem to love. I mean couldn't you not have TOA and have OF and still have a very viable class line-up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because around 1.60 and 1.65 is the point most DaoC remembers fondly.
    Casual population was strong, and 8 man guilds were a minority. They were deadly, but were kept down by the amount of casual groups/zergs running around.

ToA changes so much, and pushed casuals away from RvR. ToA also meant people had to search for information more on the internet, before ToA I had not really read much about classes/quests/raids. With ToA I had to read up on how to do the different ML/arts, and so the "exploration innocence" was lost for my part.

Anyway, it's not so much the patch skills/ra/maps that are the reason for 1.65 to be the choice, but that 1.65 was the last patch (8th October 2003) before ToA was released (23th October 2003), and thus the last patch before the game lost it's "innocence" and casuals majority.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's because ToA forced people to do another 200 hours of PvE that they didn't necessarily want to do to RvR again. It took attention away from the core focus of the game (or what it should be) and that's RvR in all its flavors.

There is also a nostalgia factor too, but that's less of a reason than ToA. For me, I took a break before ToA released and I came back after and saw a different game. A game that I had fallen hundreds of hours behind on again, simply due to an expansion. I didn't like that and never did complete the ToA content and get back out into meaningful RvR, other than a bit here and there. So yeah, ToA sucked.
    DAoC | Uthgard | Present
    DAoC | Bors/Midgard, Kay/Hibernia, Bossiney/Albion | Past

Awaiting DAoC Origins and Camelot Unchained!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Druth View Post
    Because around 1.60 and 1.65 is the point most DaoC remembers fondly.
    This may be the case for you, but I believe there is a HUGE misconception surrounding patches/timeframes for a lot of people. I quit when ToA was released so I'm not for all that noise--so I feel you guys on a lot of that stuff. But I do find it a funny how classic bros are quick to say the 1.60 - 1.65 were some of the best times. But those were also the days of no battlegroups and a lot of other things we all see as "necessity" today. Far more important to build the best version of DAoC circa SI that can possibly be built then being concerned with re imagining a point in time (that no one remembers correctly anyway). A lot of folks often confuse the patch timeframes. Personally, I enjoyed a lot of the patches that followed directly after 1.60/1.65 much more.

& Hybrids gonna need det in some form or other, this ain't Uth 3.0 (:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think about 90% of the DAoC players left want a DAoC server that keeps to the 'spirit of' classic/1.65 DAoC, not a hard lined museum-esque recreation (Uthgard 2.0).

Classic DAoC has some varying definitions, but generally speaking people agree enough that the term has usage.
    DAoC | Uthgard | Present
    DAoC | Bors/Midgard, Kay/Hibernia, Bossiney/Albion | Past

Awaiting DAoC Origins and Camelot Unchained!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think my post was misunderstood. I know at what point in time patch level 1.65 came out, and I know what impact TOA had on DAoC. My post was based on the topic of classes. My question was instead of deciding on a patch level, but instead take the best things from multiple patch levels and combining them to make a server. Such as a certain class at one patch level, and another class at another patch level. This may be more difficult, but definitely might be more rewarding. I agree with the original poster that hybrids need work more than just Determination. Thanes in particular could use an overhaul, again I understand that at patch level 1.65 that's how it was but why not change it. Thanes could use at least there Proc styles like Reavers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will Hybrids have det at all? :O
    As I know Uth didn't?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it has been set in stone yet. It was being discussed, and the developers were thinking about it (Det3). I think last I heard it was going to be tested out in Beta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO det, in some, form for hybrids is an absolute must.

And @Visigoth, I love that description "museum-esque" - made me giggle. That's exactly what Uth was.

Thread Footer